Prevention of hemorrhoids with proper toilet habits
- Avoid long periods of sitting on the toilet. Sitting for more than 5 minutes on the toilet, can increase the blood pressure in the anal veins. No wireless devices, no blogging, no phone calls, no crosswords or newspapers.
- No preparations as betadine, Dettol, alcohol, vicks, tooth paste. Soap isn’t necessary and may aggravate the problem. Avoid alcohol based or perfumed wipes.
- Gently dry the area with a hair dryer after bathing. Don’t use dry toilet paper. Use moist towelettes or wet toilet paper that doesn’t contain perfume or alcohol.
- Soak regularly in a warm bath or sitz bath.
- Don’t strain. Straining and holding your breath when trying to pass a stool creates greater pressure in the veins in the lower rectum.
- Go as soon as you feel the urge. If you postpone the urge for a bowel movement , your stool could become dry and be harder to pass.
TO BE AVOIDED