What is the cause of symptoms in our rear?
We should warn you that you cannot know by yourself.
You need to visit a proctologist to have a precise diagnosis.
The appearance of blood in the anus or stool is very concerning.
The most important is to know whether there is a cancer in the bowel. This is the most significant thing to do. A colonoscopy might be mandatory.
- If blood is on the stool and a mass is protruding or coming in and out, then the diagnosis might be hemorrhoids (piles). The hemorrhoids deteriorate if we sit on the toilet for more than five minutes and get busy with our mobile phone.
- In case of pain during or after passing off, then a fissure (a tear in the lining of anus)is probable.
- In case of sudden blood on the toilet paper and a hard painful mass, the diagnosis might be a hemorrhoidal clot.
- If blood is found inside the stools, then blood is coming from the bowel. It might be caused from colitis, polyps, a neoplasia – tumor or diverticula. In that case a colonoscopy is needed.
- If you feel a lump, you should arrange examination by a proctologist.
Pain in the anus may be very severe.
- If the pain occurs after passing off stools (defecation), as if they are passing a razor blade, then it is a fissure, a tear in the lining of anus.
- If the onset of pain is recent and is gradually worsening, then we have an inflammation (perianal abscess). If a mass is palpable and fever follows, then the diagnosis of perianal inflammation is confirmed.
- If we have a hard palpable mass that occurred suddenly, then it it is a clot. This may happen after strenuous work or training, long sitting in the toilet, hard stool or spiced food.
- If a woman feels an internal pain mainly in the upright position, then a rectal prolapse is the most probable diagnosis. Prolapse occurs more frequently in women who sit long on the toilet and have a feeling of incomplete evacuation.
- If there was a recent anal intercourse, it may be syphilis.
- If the pain occurs after anal intercourse, with a sensation of incomplete evacuation and blood and fluid discharge, then it may be STD (chlamydia, syphilis or gonorrhea).
- If there is a precedent of frequent pus collections, smoking and pimples in the youth, then it may be hidradenitis.
- If blood is detected in the toilet paper and the anal cleansing is very meticulous and frequent using paper, soap and tissues, then perianal dermatitis is the most probable diagnosis.
Lumps in the perianal area are not uncommon.
- Endoanal ultrasound and proctoscopy provide the exact diagnosis.
- The most usually chronic masses are anal tags. They are soft, non- bleeding and painless lumps. Anal tags are nonsignificant remains of hemorrhoids, they can be removed for cosmetic reasons or better cleansing.
- The anal warts are small lumps sometimes like small cauliflowers. They are caused after infection by HPV virus and are more frequently detected after anal intercourse or genital warts. They are velvet-like if they are extensive. They cause discharge of fluid or itching.
- The hemorrhoidal clot is a very hard and painful lump that appeared suddenly and recently.
If the lump is very hard, older than a month with a discharge of fluid and blood then it may be a cancerous mass.
Anal itching usually occurs after extensive cleansing with soap, paper and tissues.
- If there is a precedent of anal intercourse or genital warts, itching may be caused from anal warts (HPV).
- If there is a fluid discharge, then it may be caused by dermatitis, fungus infection, anal fistula or hemorrhoids.
- Fluid discharge in the anus can be caused from prolapsing hemorrhoids, anal fistula, skin irritation because of extensive cleansing or perianal warts.